A Prayer Guide: How to Pray
How do we pray?
Lets give us a hand in understanding how to pray.
We need to come closer to God, to experience His love for us and to try to make sense of where we are in the world. Prayer is the way we do this. Your fingers can be used to bring to mind different things to pray for.
Hold up your hand
This is the strongest digit on your hand. Give thanks for all the strong things in your life, like home and family, relationships that support and sustain you.
This is the pointing finger. Pray for all those people and things in your life who guide and help you. Friends, teachers, doctors, nurses, emergency services and so on.
This is the tallest finger. Pray for all the important people who have power in the world, like world leaders and their governments, members of parliament and local councillors, the Royal Family, other world leaders and their governments.
This is the weakest finger on your hand. It can not do much by itself. Remember the poor, the weak, the helpless, the hungry, the sick, the ill and the bereaved.
this is the smallest and the last finger on your hand. Pray for yourself.
This week’s Prayer Guide
Questions about Prayer
So, you have some questions about Prayer?
Prayer is something we see mentioned in movies, books and on TV.
But how do we actually get close to God and pray in a meaningful way?
Here we answer a few of your questions.
When should I pray?
Traditionally, prayer times have been morning and evening, but you can choose a time which is best for you. It helps to be somewhere quiet, where you can have some time for yourself.
Do I have to kneel?
Kneeling is the traditional posture for penitence and standing for praise, but you can pray anywhere – walking, standing, sitting, whatever feels comfortable.
What else do I need to know?
Be creative – use music, a stone, a feather, a flower, or a candle to help you focus – if you are very young, or elderly, be careful with candles!
Prayer activity is a discipline – it can be difficult at times, just like keeping fit, being on a diet, or keeping weeds down in the garden! Little and often is best, but don’t give up! No prayer, however inadequate you may feel it to be, is ever wasted or of no value.
Prayers for our Families
Train up a child in the way he should go:
and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
We pray for our families. We pray for them to be close in your embrace, close hearing your voice and following your guidance. We cannot always be close-by to our much-loved family members, so we pray for your touch, your hand and your voice to be close to them when we cannot. Please Lord, comfort our family members in hard times, guide them in times of decisions or confusion and encourage them at times when they need to persevere.
Most importantly, Lord, keep them close to you. As parents we can impart the love and truth of Christ and the knowledge of the Father, but only you can keep our loved ones close to you.
Father, at times when our children, brothers, sisters, mothers and fathers are going through real trials, come close to them. Let them know that they can “Be still and know that you are God”. Reach into our families and extended families and use every hardship and disappointment for your glory.
Prayers for our Nation
“If my people,
who are called by my name,
will humble themselves and pray
and seek my face and turn
from their wicked ways,
then will I hear from heaven and
will forgive their sin and
will heal their land.”
2 Chron. 7:14
Father, please heal our land
While our nation queues to vote in Municipal Elections across South Africa, how can we pray to impact our nation?
- Pray with thanksgiving. As Philippians 4:6 says, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” We thank God for the miracle of peace and democracy in our nation.
- Pray with faith. Hebrews 11:6 says “And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.”
- Pray for strong leaders. “A leader of good judgment gives stability.” according to Proverbs 29:4.Father thank you for all you have done in our nation. Thank you for saving us from war, for democracy and for the start of racial restoration in our country. We pray for elections taht are free and fair. We pray for leaders of good judgement who believe in you and have a real heart for the people. We pray for leaders of integrity who will stand up and bring an end to corruption. We also pray for all political parties that they would lead all their members to be peaceful over the elections. Your will is perfect Lord and you put leaders in place. Amen
Prayers for Pentecost
“When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place.2 Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.”
Father, please send us your spirit afresh.
Although your Holy Spirit has already come to live within us when we first believed, we trust you will give us a fresh filling of your Holy Spirit over this time of Pentecost, just as you sent the Holy Spirit to your followers in that upper room so many years ago.
Today we pray around the many works of the Holy Spirit:
- We long for your Holy Spirit to exalt Jesus and his sacrifice on the cross. Show us more of the truth of the Gospel and how I lives can be changed every day by Jesus’ love.
- We pray for the comfort of your Holy Spirit, called the “Comforter”, we ask for your presence to soothe and bring grace in tough times.
- We ask for the conviction the Holy Spirit brings – conviction of our sin in the light of Jesus’ holiness. This conviction is not guilt, however and the Holy Spirit only convicts that we may be drawn into repentance and a closer relationship with God.
- We ask the Holy Spirit to come live in us – and to have all of us, to speak to us and guide us in every area of our lives.
- We ask the Holy SPirit to reveal the word of God to us, showing us God’s truth within the Bible as we read and meditate on it each day.
- We pray to God to send the Holy Spirit that we may be made bold for witness, to share the good that God has done in our lives and the truth of the Gospel.
Hear our prayer, Lord and send us your spirit each day to fill us, guide us and help us each day.